43 In wellness

good morning yoga.

Good morning yoga sequence via @natalieborton

I’ve been dabbling in yoga for several years—always wanting to do more of it because I love how I feel afterwards, but never making it a regular habit like I have with running. So when I stumbled upon this good morning yoga sequence last week, I got really excited about the idea of starting my day with these energizing stretches. Doesn’t this sequence just look awesome?

Find the specifics on this workout—including how long to hold each post—at Mind Body Green.

Do you ever do exercise at home? If so, what do you do?

P.S. Have you seen this new Nike ad campaign? It is so inspiring! Such a good reminder that greatness and health are a result of hard work, discipline and the desire to try.

Image designed by me, using photos from Jennifer Jarrett’s sequence on Mind Body Green

Raquel
    August 8, 2012 at 5:05 pm

taebo and bollywood workout. so much fun!

Emily H.
    August 8, 2012 at 9:27 pm

i’m trying to be more consistent with running, but this heat is making it hard. i also try to do pilates or yoga, but haven’t been able to in a while. and love that nike ad.

August 8, 2012 at 9:35 pm

Yes! The heat makes it soooo difficult to get out there and run. I’ve literally stopped running since we moved to Texas, haha. Hopefully that’ll change soon now that we’ll have more moderate temperatures in California.

I guess you and I just need to keep that kid in the nike ad as our motivation to get out there :)

Allie
    August 9, 2012 at 1:47 pm

I posted the same commercial on my blog, I absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing.

Mathias Michelakis
    August 9, 2012 at 9:03 pm

I was amazed by the message of this ad campaign! “Greatness… is no more unique to us than breathing, we are all capable of it. All of us.” This will inspire everyone to become fit, especially if they the determination, discipline, and passion to become the greatest in their sport. I’d choose boxing for my workout.

August 12, 2012 at 5:02 am

Agreed! Such a great reminder of the strength we all have within. And boxing? That’s legit!

Alicia
    August 9, 2012 at 10:58 pm

what a great video! really IS inspiring. and thanks for the yoga link…gonna have to go check that out.

Joanna @ things after the rings
    August 14, 2012 at 10:52 am

Great yoga sequence! Thanks for sharing!

Kelly
    August 19, 2012 at 3:07 pm

When many of us were suffering through the horrific heat wave, I got away from all forms of exertion other than dragging the hose over our half acre to water the poor plants and trees.

Now that it’s cooled off, I shall get back to the wide array of activities I’ve collected to help me from getting bored: body weight circuit, jump rope, kettle bell, hoop dancing and interval walking.

My question about the yoga, something I’ve never done: Are moves 2-6 carried out on both sides of the body?

Thanks for posting this, I think I’ll add it to my list! I also suspect my back will thank me for it.

August 19, 2012 at 8:29 pm

You’re welcome!

According to the website where I originally found the routine: “This is a 10-15 minute morning sequence designed to wake up the body and target all of the places that might need a little extra space and life breathed into them after a night of sleep. I designed this to be a flowing sequence, allowing one pose to flow into the next. I invite you to try it like this, or if that doesn’t work for you and you prefer to complete one pose at a time, guide yourself through it that way by returning to Downward Facing Dog in between each pose. Otherwise, just flow with it.”

Enjoy!

Anonymous
      August 20, 2012 at 3:34 am

To answer your question, the moves are carried out on both sides. If you click the hyperlink in the intro it will take you directly to the original website where they tell you exactly how to do each move.

Kelly
      August 23, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Thanks so much for your help. I had no idea what little range of motion I have until I started trying some of these moves, so yoga would seem to be just the thing for me!

August 23, 2012 at 6:37 pm

You’re welcome! Yoga definitely has given me A LOT more flexibility. Hope you’re enjoying it!

pinkcheeksz
    August 19, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Thanks for sharing! Been doing yoga for 2 years in this club membership. I go to classes almost everyday but I haven’t gotten around making a sequence I can do at home. Thanks for this, it’s so easy to remember.

thecoffeewrite
    August 22, 2012 at 2:40 am

I’m completely new to yoga and I like the idea of making this a daily ritual as well. How long is each pose supposed to be held?

Stefanie Orton
    August 22, 2012 at 5:21 pm

Did this yoga routine this morning in my hotel room on a work trip. It felt great to stretch out sleepy sore muscles from the stuff hote mattress! Definitely a routine I will try to keep up with! Thanks for posting this!

August 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

How great! Glad you enjoyed it. It’s such a handy routine to keep in mind for times like that!

Kate
    August 22, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I use a lot of these yoga stretches after I workout too! :)

August 22, 2012 at 4:05 pm

Yes, me too! And I especially love doing a few sun salutations to stretch my whole body out after a good run.

Anna
    August 24, 2012 at 11:40 pm

I am just like you, i love yoga and the feeling afterwards but never get in the routine of going all the time! I LOVE these stretches and can’t wait to try them tomorrow! Love your blog by the way :)

Fitness
    August 25, 2012 at 2:16 am

I do a combination of yoga and dance workouts. Yoga really relaxes me and zumba workouts energizes me. Mixing up your workouts helps keep you from getting bored.

Misabel
    September 4, 2012 at 5:22 pm

Thank you so much for sharing! I have been doing this for 2 weeks now and I can do 4 of the moves now…lol ;) I can’t do 7 and 8 for long but I am getting there!

Brandi
    September 13, 2012 at 5:19 am

love yoga…I need to do more as well!

run-style-run.blogspot.com

Kristin from mamacino
    September 17, 2012 at 9:51 pm

I have been working through your sequence of a morning and it’s lovely – even though I have my three little ones joining in and taking up all the room on my mat x

Joanna
    October 2, 2012 at 4:27 pm

How long do you hold each pose?

Anonymous
    October 21, 2012 at 5:56 pm

Amazing sequence! Thank you for the post. I’ve been doing it every morning now and it’s absolutely wonderful <3

Good Morning Yoga by Jennifer Garrett |
    April 16, 2014 at 7:51 am

[…] found the Good Morning Yoga Sequence through Natalie, but a detailed approach can be followed in Mind Body […]

Sunday Fun Days | A Girl Called Nyamka
    May 31, 2014 at 9:03 pm

[…] and warrior poses. Even three minutes of it can make you feel much better.I have been doing this Good Morning yoga sequence for over a year now, it takes no more than five minutes and it always manages to make me feel […]

Inspiration for the weekend.
    August 29, 2014 at 5:36 am