A couple weeks ago while pondering what I could make myself for lunch, I realized I had all of the necessary items to make a first attempt at homemade sushi. My one problem: while I had a big batch of leftover brown rice in the fridge, it lacked the sushi-rice stickiness required to keep a roll together. My improvisational solution? Hummus! Odd as it sounds, it totally worked. Below are the ingredients needs and the easy steps it takes to make your very own at-home cucumber avocado rolls:
Hummus, preferably a mild or original flavor
Brown rice, cooked
Cucumbers, sliced in strips
Avocado, sliced in strips
Soy sauce, tamari or Bragg’s liquid aminos, for dipping (optional)
1. Place one sheet of nori on a flat surface and spread hummus over the top of it, leaving 1-2 inches.
2. Add the rice on top of the hummus layer, pressing it down so that it sticks well.
3. Add cucumber and avocado to the bottom portion of the nori sheet.
4. Roll tightly, sealing the dry end with moisture from a damp paper towel so it sticks to the rest of the roll.
5. Slice into pieces and and enjoy.
The final product will look a little something like this…
Have you ever made homemade sushi? Care to share your recipe?