20 In style

i like big buns and i cannot lie.

Last week I finally learned how to make a sock bun, and girls let me tell you, it is a hair life-changer! Since I’ve promised to write more posts on style, I’m going to teach you how to make a sock bun today. I mean, it’s really a skill every 20-something female should know how to do. It’ll save you from bad hair days all year long–you can thank me later.

1. Find an old sock that is a neutral color and cut off the toe to make the sock into one long tube.
  2. Roll the sock into itself until it is shaped like a donut.
  3. Put your hair up in a ponytail.
  4. Pull the end of your ponytail through the center of the sock donut and begin rolling down toward your head (as shown below, courtesy of the 3 Pink Dots blog):

To finish, tuck in any straggling pieces of hair (I had a few since I have layers) and voila! You have a big, beautiful bun!

What’s your go-to bad hair day solution?

Keep in touch! Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest

RachelElizJ
    November 8, 2011 at 3:14 pm

Girrrr, I’m all about the buns (I love the title of this post, by the way) – I don’t use a sock but I have somehow mastered a similar style. It just feels good to get that hair out of your face and on top of your head.

Colleen Daughton
    November 8, 2011 at 3:42 pm

As much as I love learning how to make a sock bun, my favorite part of this blog post is the title!

Gennean
    November 8, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Love this! I have heard of sock buns before, but couldn’t find a good/easy enough tutorial – yours takes the cake!

Jessica Hunt
    November 8, 2011 at 4:19 pm

I read this post, marched into my bedroom, grabbed a sock, cut the toe, and rolled it on top of my head. OBSESSED! I try to only wash my hair every other day, but the second day looks slightly oily even with my dry shampoo:/ So this will be my off day solution :)

Jennifer Coddou
    November 8, 2011 at 8:14 pm

I’m SOOO doing this for school! Thanks for the share:)

And you look BEAUTIFUL… as always!

Lauren Fair
    November 8, 2011 at 11:23 pm

Love the look! I’ve been hearing about sock buns all over the place lately and really need to try it. I do the twisted top knot thing way too much and need an alternative. Thanks for the tutorial! I’ve also heard you can slightly wet your ponytail before rolling, and the sleep on it for pretty waves in the morning….Love to hear if you’ve tried it!

November 8, 2011 at 3:43 pm

Glad you appreciated the title…I went out on a limb there :] Your bun is absolutely perfect–it’s probably the reason why people created the sock bun in the first place! Now we can be bun twins too, haha.

November 8, 2011 at 3:44 pm

Haha, thanks Colleen!

November 8, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thanks Gennean! I was the same way until I saw the photos from the 3 Pink Dots blog. Glad we both know how to do it now!

November 8, 2011 at 6:55 pm

Yay! I’m totally with you. It’s my new go-to for sure.

November 8, 2011 at 9:37 pm

You’re welcome! And thanks :)

November 8, 2011 at 11:29 pm

Oh yes, you mentioned the wavy hair option on Instagram and I definitely want to give it a try soon. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

RachelElizJ
    November 9, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Duh, bun twins fo life, chick.

Valerie Pekar
    November 10, 2011 at 12:18 am

I am dying for your chain link necklace in that picture–where can i find one for myself?!

November 10, 2011 at 12:25 am

Isn’t it amazing?!? My friend Allie got it for me and I wear it almost every day. It’s from Bauble Bar :)

Wonderfully Made
    Director of Marketing

Alyssa Baltes
    November 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Ahhh this is so great, making me miss my long hair! can’t wait until its long enough to do this!

Rachel Lucille
    November 11, 2011 at 2:10 am

oh if I had long hair I would totally try this! I usually just throw my hair back with a ton of bobby pins!

Amouretteblog
    November 11, 2011 at 4:29 pm

love it

Caroline @ Between Your Ears
    January 20, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Just curious, how long does your hair have to be to look like this? I’m only just growing it out, so I’m not sure it’ll work!

January 23, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Hi Caroline! My hair is quite long (chest-length), but as long as your hair fits into a pony tail that’s a few inches long, I’d imagine you could pull this off. Also, the bun doesn’t have to be as high as I did it. I love a high top-knot style, but if your hair is too short for that, you could make it lower in order to fit all of your hair. Hope that’s helpful!