wanting what you’ve got.

[photo credit]

The grass is always greener, isn’t it? We always want what we don’t have–that is, until we have it and we decide that we want something different. We are fickle beings living in a fickle culture.

Oh, but I need those shoes!
If only my apartment were prettier.
When I lose 5lbs, then I’ll have nothing to complain about.

As if anyone would think us more worthy or more interesting if we had a fancy pair of shoes, a swanky apartment, or lost a miniscule amount of weight. Why are we never content with what we have? Sheryl Crow had it right when she said,

It’s not having what you want, it’s wanting what you’ve got.

This isn’t a new concept–this idea of true joy coming from contentment. In fact, Paul talked about this in the book of Philippians:

…for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength.

Simply said, but not always simply done, Christ is the way we learn to be content in our current circumstances. It’s through His strength that we learn (and yes, I think we need to learn this) not to want, but rather to see the value in all things we have and in who we are.

What in your life are you dissatisfied with? Would you consider asking Christ to help you learn contentment?

Keep in touch! Facebook // Twitter // Instagram // Pinterest

Laura
    January 17, 2011 at 10:24 pm

Natalie, I love this verse, and I was actually planning to write on it in the Pepperdine chapter WM blog that we’re starting up! I still might.

Natalie
    January 17, 2011 at 11:00 pm

Hey girl! I totally think you should use it. Also, feel free to repost anything I write on this blog onto the WM Pepperdine blog :)

hillaryhaaker
    January 18, 2011 at 4:40 am

i really like this idea, but where is the line drawn between being content with what we have and wanting better if it leads to positive change? when is enough enough? maybe someone really should lose those five pounds or maybe Christ wants us to want more for ourselves.

Natalie
    January 18, 2011 at 3:53 pm

Hillary, I think you bring up a good and natural question–is it wrong to strive to be our best? I’ve asked that question a million times, and I support the truth that God’s desire is for us to be our best selves. The main idea in what I wanted to covey, however, was not that we should not strive to be our best selves, but that even as we continue to grow and be shaped into who we are, we live each day content with where we are and what we have right now.

Matthew 6 reminds us to, “not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of it’s own.”

Whether or not it’s true that my wardrobe would be better with new shoes, or that my apartment could stand to look better, it’s not about that. It’s about cultivating a grateful heart and learning contentment regardless of our circumstances.

♥ Jaimie-Rose and Jonathan
    January 18, 2011 at 5:20 pm

Well said lovely! I have actually made it one of my goals for the year to be happy with what I have and not want or envy others.

Natalie
    January 18, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Love it! Envy is a nasty little bug that does nothing but make us sad. Best of luck in finding joy in what you have :)